This late Georgian cul-de-sac was laid out in 1772 on land belonging to the City of London Corporation, called the Lord Mayor's Banqueting Ground.  Early tenants of this house were the 3rd Earl of Portmore; and Sir John St. Aubyn, a wealthy dilettante, who lived here with his large collection of minerals, fossils and paintings - and numerous illegitimate children.  In the 19th century residents included Dr. Frederic Quin, the first homeopathic physician in England, and the architect Joseph Clarke.

In the 1920s part of the house became a business address.  The whole property was leased in 1977 to the recording company Chrysalis, which was already at the house next door, and the two properties were combined to accommodate the AIR (Associated Independent Recording) Group as well.  A two-storey rear extension was built so that there would be room for the producer George Martin's grand piano.