The first residents of this house, in 1888, were Captain the Hon. Frederick Howard and his wife Constance, an author.  About five years after moving in, Lady Constance started divorce proceedings.  Her husband's response was to shoot himself in the smoking room, and his young mistress followed suit a day later.  The press quickly connected the two suicides and the events became a minor scandal.  Other residents included General Renny 'Saviour of the Punjab', and Henry Vernet, chairman of Bensons merchant bank.

The house was requisitioned by the Council for twenty years after the Second World War, before becoming a Girls' Friendly Society hostel until the mid-1990s.