The first owner of this house, built in 1829, held the prestigious appointment of Harpist to Queen Adelaide.  Subsequent residents included a Lady of the Bedchamber to Queen Victoria; a renowned botanist; Viscount Drumlanrig (later 8th Marquess of Queensberry); Lord Ellenborough; diplomat the Hon. Henry Edwardes; Sir Henry Chamberlain; and Gilbert Edgar, who was chairman of the jewellers H. Samuel.

In 1946 the house was acquired by Lord and Lady Mountbatten.  A frequent guest was Noel Coward, and Prince Philip used it as his London base before his marriage to Princess Elizabeth in November 1947.  BBC footage records him leaving the house for the wedding.